Monday, August 22, 2011

OK - Here we go!

Big reason I'm keeping my kids home from public school is because I want to teach them what I believe is important - namely about Knowing God.  As Jessica explained the difference in her blog - I want them to Know God not just know About God.  You know?

Today is the first day of public school here and my kids are still in jammies . . . so, aside from reading our Bible and talking about Paul's willingness to die and his fearlessness in the face of danger to talk about Jesus . . . I'm going to go in with my "See Learning" eyes on and see what my kids are learning today

They watched programing on Discovery Kids about animals.

What was really fun is that we found out on coinflation.com that pennies made before 1983 are worth, in their straight up copper, 2.5 cents.  And talked about how that means some of our pennies are worth -you guessed it- more than a penny!  So we pulled out our penny jar and sorted out the ones 1982 or less.

Some of the pennies were corroded bad enough we couldn't read the date, so we pulled out some things that we learned online would clean the pennies for us.  We had one bowl with just vinegar.  Another bowl we mixed lemon juice with baking soda and the last one had just water. (The internet didn't suggest this as a penny cleaning agent - it was mostly for our fingers)

So that was fun to see what cleaned best, how the chemicals reacted with the pennies and with each other . . .

Finally we learned that it's illegal to deface money - so the option of melting down our pennies for copper is out . . . but that is whole lot of learning today that we ALL enjoyed.

1 comment:

Andysbethy said...

I read this post the other day, so my boys and I tried it this week. It was so much fun to try cleaning them. We actually tried borax in one and plain baking soda in another. (We truly have so few supplies in our temporary house and I hate to buy things when we are only going to be here another six weeks!) Anyway, it was a blast. They were so excited to find pennies that were older then mommy. It was easy to lead into a lesson reminding what money is worth with Z, my kindergartener. Thanks for the fun idea!