Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It's surprising even me.

Well I was hoping to do some "exploding" science today like they did here, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.  Today we worked on their chore pockets.  Each kid has 2 magnetic pocket, one is labeled "TO DO" and the other is labeled "Done"
The idea being that as the tasks got done the task cards (colored 3x5's) would move from one pocket to another.  I got the idea from Jenny.  
I wrote out some tasks (wash dishes, make your bed, etc) I explained to the kids what they were and what they would be for, and I was surprised to find that before I was done explaining Sarah was reading what was written on the cards.  
Good!  

  
 Next step they were to draw or search cut and paste pictures that for them would show the task.
 Sarah is showing her "wash dishes"
Andrew working on his task card.

I'm rather surprised by their reading that they are doing here and there.  Both spent time on Secretbuilders.com today and Andrew completed a quest completely by himself - which requires reading.  If I ask him to read something he backs down from it saying he "can't" but I see evidence that he sure can when he's not feeling pressured to perform.

Then Dad took the boys out for some consumer math - having Andrew figure out how much money he had and what he could buy with it.

And finally at the end of the day Andrew learned some anatomy playing a game where you had to fix broken ribs.  Sounds fun, eh?

And all the kids either have sniffles or a low grade fever (99-100) or both, and now so do I.  But mine feel more like severe allergies . . anyway - don't know how much will get done tomorrow.

No comments: